Travel guidance for Dubai residents and tourists
August 19, 2020
COVID-19 flight and travel restrictions remain in place across many countries around the world. We are closely monitoring the situation as it evolves and we will provide frequent updates on this website.
Traveling to Dubai:
If you hold a Dubai residence visa and you are flying back to Dubai, you must have return approval from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreign Affairs (GDRFA).
- During the GDRFA application process, you will be asked to enter your Resident File Number. This number is on your visa under File.
- Check the GDRFA website to see the status of your application. If your application is approved, you will receive an email with a GDRFA reference number. If the application can’t be processed at the time of the request, you can try again after four days.
- All passengers arriving in Dubai from any destination must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate. We recommend you bring a printed certificate, but digital ones are accepted in Dubai. It must be an official certificate - SMS confirmation messages are not accepted. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This includes all UAE citizens, residents, tourists, and passengers connecting in Dubai.
- Without a negative test certificate, you will not be accepted on the flight. Children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability are exempt from this test.
- The UAE government has specified designated laboratories. If you are flying from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, you must get your certificate from one of these labs. If you are flying from any other country, you can either use the recommended laboratories in the same document or any trusted and certified laboratories in your country of origin.
- You must also download the COVID19 – DXB Smart App iOS-Android
- All travellers to Dubai, including passengers with a connecting flight, must complete this health declaration form and give it to the staff at check-in. This form will also be available at check-in.
- You will also need to complete the quarantine undertaking form given to you on board if Dubai is your final destination. Hand this form to the Dubai Health Authority staff on arrival.
Traveling from Dubai:
- All passengers traveling from Dubai to UK or Europe (and other mandated destinations) will be required to take a COVID-19 PCR test no more than 96 hours before departure and present the test result certificate at check-in. Children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability are exempt from this test. Please check this link for more information.
- Before you travel, please check the requirements of the country you are traveling to. You may need to take a printed COVID-19 PCR test before you depart.
- Dubai residents do not need Dubai government approval to leave Dubai.